Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lattakia Gates

I believe this is a little bit strange for the inhabitants of Lattakia city, specially the young generation, and some people might ask: is it possible that Lattakia city has gates? and where are those gates now?

At least these were the questions I asked to myself when I was reading the book "Lattakia the old days – writer Zuher Ghareeb", but now I say why not? an ancient city like Lattakia should have gates to protect her from the outsiders; and here are the gates as were mentioned in the book:

"Al Maghrebi Gate" it formed an edge to "Al Qal'a" section, "Al Shekh Daher Gate", "Al Meena Gate" (The Port Gate), "Al Shahhadeen Gate", "Al Sabbagheen Gate", "Hood Gate" (beside Al baath scholl now) and this section is called "Sholak" section and to the east of this gate there was a cemetery and "Al Azhari Gate".

The strange thing is that none of these gates are left (at least as I know) except in the memories of some old Lattakian people, and despite I tried to find these gates and their secrets, I couldn't except some ancient streets and houses scattered between the new buildings that are out of heritage.

Anyway if anyone had any information or photos or drawings for these gates please send to me in order to keep this beautiful heritage of our city and carry it to the following generations.

No comments: